Justinah McFadden - Get To Know The Ambassador Of Poetry

Saturday, October 24, 2009 |


Brooklyn born author Justinah McFadden is taking her poetry writing career by storm. Not only has she released four books and more poems than you can count--she is now diving into the world of novelist. The four time author is releasing her first novel in 2010 titled, "The Thirteenth Day." The book is set in the era of WWII and surrounds a conspiracy. When asked for a few words on the plot of the book, Justinah teases us with, "When the truth of the conspiracy comes to the light, it surpasses hate by measures and brings hope to the world." This is sure to be a compelling story, to say the least. A novel that will definitely be a challenge for the reader to set down.

We here at Spoken Word New York were privileged to have the opportunity to sit down with the busy author. We wanted her fans to know more about the poet and spoken word artist. Read on to learn more of how she got started writing poetry, learn a bit of her background and find out what her future plans are for writing.

What inspired you to become a writer?

The thing that inspired me to become a writer was when I realized that I was put here on earth for just that purpose. The journey and road which led me to become a writer was a long one and sometimes difficult, but no matter what occurred in my life, I never gave up hope. It was during those times that I would go deep within myself and write from the depths of my being. I never had to take courses or force my work to sound like something fancy. Its been a God given gift, so it came natural--like breathing air and drinking water...I needed it as part of my survival.

How did you get started?
I got started when God, life, and the universe decided that it was the right time. I have this theory--you'll know if something is right because it falls into place with ease. No force involved. I wrote my first book and submitted it to several publishing companies. This was a huge step of faith. I just had to trust God and believe in my writing and here I am. I've been writing poetry since I was 8. I published my first poem at 17. And I published my first book at 23.

Your accomplishments?
I'm a very humble person so I tend to say I'm blessed and the things I accomplish are a blessing through God. I believe publishing 4 books with 3 new ones on the way is a blessing. Being able to dream and express vision is a blessing. And when you see your dreams and blessings unfold and take you to new heights, it's an accomplishment. I feel like I'm on my way and I have so much left to do and I'm ready for it all.

What are your favorites; poems, stories, books? Why?
My favorite poet is Langston Hughes. I love Langston Hughes as a writer and poet. I've always admired his courage. He was a great African-American voice during a time when we needed it most and when we didn't have a voice in America. I love the honesty and rawness of his work. One of my favorite authors/books is Wally Lamb, I Know This Much Is True. In this particular story there is hope and a mystery within each page. It keeps you engulfed from beginning to end. I love the book, The Shack, by William P. Young. I love spiritual, historical and motivational books. I am also a huge fan of Toni Morrison.

You speak of family in your books. How do they influence you? Friends-do they play a factor in your writing?
Family and real friends are an important part of my life. They're the gel that puts it all together. Those are the people promoting, pushing and helping me ultimately. In fact, my best friend is constantly giving me new ideas about how to make myself more marketable. It's great to have their support, it means a lot.

What are your future plans in writing?
I'm coming out with my first Novel in 2010.... It's going to be an awesome project. I will also be publishing smaller works in between. I'm so excited!

2 comments:

TheStyleGuru4u said...

I am such a huge fan of Justinah's work. Her poetry leaves me with a sense of awareness. I no longer feel alone in my feelings and I feel a great sense of inspiration within every poem.

Honest Abe said...

definitely worth the read. I've felt an interesting, blessed aura about Justinah after our first meeting. But I guess thats the intuitive Scorpio in me. And after reading this, I was right. A queen of words and knowledge I can't help but respect, as a person as well as a force to be reckoned with in the literary world with her accolades of accomplishments. I wish her well in all future endeavors and whatever else God plans for this author; I feel honored to have encountered in this life time

Post a Comment